How To Correct Incorrect Public Records

Name Phone Number License Plate VIN
Name Phone Number License Plate VIN

How To Correct Incorrect Public Records

If you’re wondering how to correct incorrect public records that are incorrect you’re not alone. Many public records contain errors. These can be simple misspellings, wrong address or phone numbers or incorrect criminal, court, civil or driving records. Many times if you’ve already corrected an issue it will take up to several weeks to months to have this reflected online. This is because online public record repositories update their information a different rates. You can also contact the individual repositories to have your information changed but since there are a lot of them out there it will be difficult to sniff them all out to make the necessary changes. The best practice is to make the changes with the relevant public records office and wait until the corrections are updated in the system. Learning how to correct incorrect public records is a process. Knowing what agency to contact is the first step ? see below for more helpful information.

Fixing Mistakes on Public Records

  1. First find the public record that has an error
  2. Visit the relevant city/town public records clerk ( ie. DMV, Courthouse, Police Dept., etc.. ) that is in charge of the public records and bring in all available information to change the errant information. You want to make sure you bring in multiple forms of identification ( ie. Driver’s license, utility bill, passport, marriage certificate, other bills you receive in your name )
  3. Fill out the germane form and submit it to correct the error.
  4. Check in regularly to see if the information was updated correctly. This may take several weeks so be patient. You can use online public record repositories ( ie. ) to verify the information in your public record is accurate.

Additional Information on How To Correct Incorrect Public Records

Search Your Public Records Report

Disputing Errors on Credit Reports

Correcting Errors on Birth, Marriage & Divorce Records

Correcting Errors on Your Identity

How To Correct Incorrect Public Records
How To Correct Incorrect Public Records

Correcting Public Records For Identity Verification

It may be paramount to verify your public information is correct before applying for a job or getting a buying a new car or taking out a new loan or even applying for college. Knowing what’s in your public background record can help you avoid a potentially difficult situation if there is a mistake that can thwart the process of a multitude of things. As mentioned previously, there are sometimes incorrect public records as well as old infractions or misdemeanors that should have been expunged or sealed. These surprises happen to a lot of people and it’s a simple process to find out what’s in your public record that is tied to your identity. Another situation that is becoming more common is identity theft and people that clone another person’s identity and get a criminal record or commit a crime can put that person in jeopardy with the law. Some experts recommend that on top of obtaining some type of identity protection, it’s also a savvy idea to check your background report on a yearly basis to make sure everything is accurate.

Incorrect Public Records - Q&A

What Are Public Records?

Public records in the United States via the Freedom of Information Act. You can lookup public records from federal, state and local government agencies as most government collected information on it's citizens are public information. Another option is to use the resources that are available through public record websites like

How Can I Check My Public Record?

Public records are just that, publicly available records that you can access from most US government agencies. Another way to check your public record is to use and online public record website where you can lookup anyone's public record with a simple name search.

How Do I Know If My Public Record Is Correct?

In order to determine if you public record is correct you will want to visit a public record website, like, and lookup your public record. Once you find your public record, verify it's you by the middle name, address, relatives and date of birth. Then if there is any incorrect information you can email the website and have those incorrect public records fixed.

Leave Reply - See responses below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Responses to “How To Correct Incorrect Public Records

  1. says:

    Thanks for the feedback on How to Correct Incorrect Public Records , we can certainly assist you with updating your address in our public records database. That being said, if you are noticing this incorrect public record on other websites such as Yellow-Pages or White-Pages you will need to reach out to them separately. It’s sometimes the case that the public record that we all pull data from is incorrect so that means you will want to reach out to as many different public record and government websites that host this information. Unfortunately we are not affiliated with any other public record website so you will need to reach out to the administrators of those public record websites independently to mitigate this incorrect record. It should be pretty simple for most websites to update your physical address. You might also want to verify this is you and not someone else as it is often the case that there are multiple people with the same first and last, and even middle names.

    That being said, please let us know all the incorrect public records you see that need to be updated and we’ll correct them ASAP for you. Also check our ” Whose Number Is This ” blog post and verify this is your correct phone number

    Verify My Public Record Is Accurate

    When verifying a public record is accurate, first make sure that you’re looking at the correct public record for the correct person. This can be verified by a birth date, a middle name, an address or a marriage record. Then if there is still an inaccuracy with your public record then contact the referring website or agency to fix and correct any inaccuracies to insure your public record is accurate. Government websites might need a photo ID to verify your public record before making any changes

  2. says:

    My physical address is incorrect therefore if I use it on the computer to validate my physical address it always says its incorrect!!!!!
    The map has it as Charley Breeden Road, Shady Springs THATS INCORRECT. My correct address is 202 Charley Breeden Road, Cool Ridge, WV 25825

  3. says:

    This is a very unfortunate situation Melanie, there are a couple of possibilities here. First, your identity has been stolen and your good name is being used by someone else. Second, your public record is confused with someone else. A good way to determine what is happening is verifying your social security number and/or driver’s license number and date of birth. If all of these are the same then it’s likely that your identity has been stolen. If this is the case then you want to contact all the relevant credit agencies and your banks to let them know you’re a victim of identity theft.

    You can also contact the FTC to file a report and get helpful advise on how to handle your identity being stolen. Their toll free phone number is: 1-877-382-4357

    What To Do If My Identity Is Stolen

    1. Notify credit agencies, banks and credit card companies
    2. Place a fraud alert on your credit report
    3. Document all known credit fraud accounts
    4. Put a freeze on getting new credit on your credit report
    5. Contact the police and fill out a police report
    6. Send the relevant agencies a copy of the police report
    7. Contact the FTC and file a report of identity theft

  4. says:

    I need help. I don’t know who to talk to or what to do. Somehow my “public record” has become confused with someone else. I was denied a bank account bc I couldn’t prove I was me. Even though I pay Equifax, Experian and TransUnion ALL monthly fees for credit monitoring, it doesn’t matter. These aren’t credit questions. (What is Mr X’s birthday… I’ve no idea who he is. Which of the following addresses ha e you lived at? Umm none. Etc).

    When happened with Asurion I asked WHO they got the questions from. No one all the way up the chain of command could answer.

    When it happened with chase, no one could answer.

    When it happened with PNC, no one could answer.

    When it happened with quicken rocket mortgage, no one could answer.

    How can I fix it if I don’t know where it comes from?!? I took your advice and went to the police dept. They said since it wasn’t verifiable identity theft there was nothing they could do about it.

    I called Equifax. God as my witness they asked me questions to verify my identity and I FAILED! Either way, they claim they don’t generate the questions.

    Experian says they don’t generate the questions.

    TransUnion says they don’t generate the questions.

  5. says:

    hi there my name is Deonte Merritt I’m having a problem of trying to get my relatives added to my personal information on every online public record database website I was very upset when I’ve seen some miscalculations that were missing like my father’s name Cortlandt Laroy Merritt, my mother’s name Sabrina Carter, my two brothers, my uncles Cleron Merritt and Cedric Merritt, my grandmother Charlotte M. Dozier, my grandfather Winston Leroy Merritt, my sister Cortney Dominique Merritt, and my granduncle Eugene Milton Merritt added on my profile report if anyway I can get this finalized I would like to get more details on how to do it.

  6. says:

    Eddy, you would have to talk to the carrier or the to see if they can link your phone number to your name so unfortunately that number will not come up in your public record unless it’s registered under your name

  7. says:

    so i tried to sign up for synchrony bank but the system they use need to verify my phone number real time but then i have a prepaid line and my name or public information is not linked to it is there a way to attach my public record to this line ive been using it for years but infos or anyone else record is not linked to it.. help

  8. says:

    Kathleen, you will need to reach out to that website directly to correct your information and public record

  9. says:

    Someone else shows my phone number as theirs on White I cannot correct as I don’t have a paid dubscription do I cannot correct this

  10. says:

    I want to correct my public record

  11. says:

    Hi, I live in Maryland and I came to this country in 2014 and I been having serious issues with my name since then. There is a coincidence with my name and date of birth with someone in living in Texas Somehow my “public record” has become confused that person. When I try to file an insurance claim or apply for a loan there are some random questions to verify my identity. Like mane of relatives that I don\’t recognize, addresses in San Antonio, TX ( I never been in there) cars that I supposed to own in the early 2000\’s and more. Even when our full name is not the same the matching first name, last and date of birth has become enough to public agencies to consider we are the same person. I\’ve been even getting contacted by Deb collectors charging me things from times when I wasn\’t even close to come to this country for the first time. Is there anything I can do to fix this. This is getting worse and I am afraid I can get in trouble because someone else. Thanks

  12. says:

    Why is my phone number associated with someone else?

    Phone numbers are typically recycled, especially mobile phone numbers. This means that there might be multiple people listed as the owner in various directories. You can typically contact the carrier for that phone number to make sure they removed the previous phone number owner from the directory however it may still be incorrect on other directories that are not updated regularly. To fix this you will need to contact the relevant directory to have this fixed.

  13. says:

    someone else has my cell number listed from public records. i regularly get calls for him, sometimes 3 or 4 times a week. i have had this number for decades, I looked it up and it came up under someone else’s name. How do i correct this? and how can i determine which public records have this error?

  14. says:

    I\’m researching a elder abuse case involving my sister with a English PHD, and my mother. During my investigating I have noticed that my sister\’s records around the five yr period seem to be altered. For years that she was in San Diego she has addresses in northern CA like four different addresses all people like her father , known associated people who would let her say she lived with them. Also there has been space created between my mother and the family and my sister, my Mom sister and boy friend of a few years are all listed as family, while my mother spent all but the last 5 yrs with the whole family. Could she have edited us out saying it was a error. I also believe she was a student for 30yrs and has likely used the student protection to keep her info very slim to none private as students are afforded, bit she is not a student and is defrauding the public works so that she may hide her fraud and embezzlement. So my question is,. are edits, and removed info done secretly or is the public made aware that some changes where made. How can I find out bye who and when and report if I\’m correct

  15. says:

    Ryan, you cannot upload any information to our website. We pull our public records from government resources and do not allow users to augment any data themselves. If you find an error or an incorrect public record, we are happy to assist you in correcting it

  16. says:

    I do not show up in this data base and am confused on how to add it. I can’t find a background check or my birth

  17. says:

    Tara, what incorrect public record information have you found that need to be updated?

  18. says:

    Having trouble verifying a account says info is wrong even though it\’s correct

  19. says:

    Nick if you need verification you should be able to use a driver’s license, SSN or birth certificate if you are a USA citizen.

  20. says:

    I am trying to get verified for a sports betting website but my record does not appear anywhere. I simply cannot find it

  21. says:

    Ellen, you can order a duplicate certified copy of your birth certificate from the Department of Health in the State you live in.

  22. says:

    I can’t get verified for a sports betting app. I can’t locate my records to verify. Need to confirm they are accurate but don’t know how to.

  23. says:

    Tahir, if you can be more specific and provide us with your full name, age and state of residence we’ll gladly help you find your public record

  24. says:

    My public records don’t appear anywhere

  25. says:

    Ryan, we are happy to run a public record search for you if you can tell us what state you would like us to search in as well as your age and full name. That being said, you should be able to verify your identity with a social security number and/or driver’s license and passport, if you possess one.

  26. says:

    Mary, if you give us the correct information we can separate it out in our database resources however you will need to contact other institutions directly to make this correction where you see an error in your public record listing

  27. says:

    Need to check my public records are accurate, but don’t know how to do so without paying a fee. Companies are trying to verify my identity, but apparently I do not exist according to public records. I have no idea how to verify my information is correct with public records.

  28. says:

    I have recently “failed” the questions asked of my bank (to change my address) and another financial institution holding my funds.
    Interestingly, my second husband remarried a woman with the name Mary Auvil who then became Mary A Sherry.
    Somehow her information is in my public records. I saw my age with her name and she is significantly younger.
    How can I separate this information?

  29. says:

    Dan we are happy to run a free public record search for you. Please give us your full name, age and state of residence and we’ll see what we can find for you.

  30. says:

    How can I check my records without paying for a copy

Last Updated: 2021-08-11

Please be advised that the information accessed through searches may not always be accurate or current, as we neither generate nor authenticate the data provided via our service. The reliability and precision of information are primarily contingent upon diverse public sources from which data is compiled. By utilizing, you acknowledge your acceptance of the terms delineated in the terms of service and our privacy policies. Information acquired via must not be utilized for unlawful purposes such as stalking or harassing individuals, or scrutinizing public figures or celebrities. Individuals who contravene these directives may be subject to both civil and criminal legal proceedings and sanctions. It is explicitly stated that does not function as a "consumer reporting agency" as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA"), and therefore, does not furnish "consumer reports" pursuant to the FCRA. strictly prohibits the utilization of information garnered from search results (a) for discriminatory practices against any consumer; (b) for assessing a consumer's eligibility for personal credit, insurance, employment, housing, or government licenses or benefits; or (c) in any other manner that may impact a consumer's economic or financial status or standing.