West Virginia Divorce Records

Start Your Public Records Search Here img
People Phone License Plate VIN
Start Your Public Records Search Here img
People Phone License Plate VIN

West Virginia Divorce Records Search

West Virginia Divorce Records are the responsibility of the West Virginia Clerk of Circuit Court. This applies to each county where the divorce was finalized. Information on this can easily be obtained by contacting the Clerk of Circuit Court via phone, in person or through a written request.

Click Here To Begin Your Free Divorce Record Search

It helps if you know how the court system of West Virginia works. The Circuit Courts have a general jurisdiction over all sorts of cases but they generally handle cases that are beyond the jurisdiction of courts. Family Courts, Magistrate Courts and Municipal Courts have very limited jurisdiction over specific cases. For an efficient search of records you can search by courts of county and request records from the county where the divorce proceedings took place.

The Health Statistics Center in Charleston West Virginia is responsible for issuing and archiving important issues for the state. Searches by mail and in person cost around $12 and also come with a certified copy. Additional searches in case there are no results are for $12 each for a three year period. Fax, internet and phone orders are ran through the online government approved VitalChek system. Requesting online costs a minimum fee of $30. If you request a rush order that would cost extra. You can call (304) 558-9100, fax at (304) 558-1787, or you can visit the Health Statistics Center for a walk in request at:

West Virginia Health Statistics Center 
Room 165, 350 Capitol Street
Charleston, WV 25301-3701 

Public records like birth, death, marriage and divorce documents are available here from the year 1917 till present day. If you cannot find the particular divorce records you are looking for you can always look for the divorce records at the Clerk of Court but only from the county where the divorce proceedings took place. The state of West Virginia also holds all vital records database for public access for genealogical purposes.

You can order a certified copy of the divorce documents from West Virginia VitalChek. The online process is fast, simple and secure; the best part is that it is a fully authorized portal that works with different agencies to provide users with vital records. You can even avail a rush order through here. VitalChek is a fast service without problems where they expedite help and ensure that you receive the certification as soon as you can, which is usually within a week’s time.

West Virginia Divorce Records
West Virginia Divorce Records

Leave Reply - See responses below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

10 responses to “West Virginia Divorce Records

  1. My Grandfather, George Washington Moody was married in about 1897 in Greenbrier County. I have been unable to find any information regarding his first wife (name unknown). Records indicate in the 1910 census he was married. Are any marriage or divorce records on file in your office. I am attempting to write a genealogical history of my family.

    1. Unfortunately we don’t have any information about your Grandfather or his first wife. These marriage and divorce records are older than 50 years, which is the limitation of our West Virginia Divorce Records Database. You can also check with the West Virginia State Archives, West Virginia Department of Health & Human Resources or VitalCheck.com ( a common resource used by state agencies )

  2. HI,
    I am looking for information on my grandmother’s divorce. Her name was Alice Evangeline Cooper (1898-1964) and her first husband’s name was Kelsey Albert Sevy (1897-1978). They were married 4 August 1923 • Charleston, Kanawha, West Virginia, USA. I believe they were divorced between 1923-1925. Would you happen to have either their marriage or divorce records? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

    1. Thanks for reaching out Jennifer. Unfortunately these are old divorce records so we do not have them in our West Virginia divorce record database. Our divorce records typically only go back 50 years. That being said, you can reach out to the West Virginia State Archives and request a copy of your grandmother’s divorce record.

  3. I need a copy of my divorce. It was Dec 1999 or Jan 2000 in charleston West Virginia. I live out of state. Name was Nancy Giacalone

    1. Nancy, in order to obtain a copy of your West Virginia divorce decree there are a few options. You can contact the West Virginia CDC to obtain WV divorce records, you can contact the WV courthouse clerk where your divorce was filed or you can use a 3rd party certified record service called Vital Check

      Get a Copy of Your West Virginia Divorce Certificate

      1. Contact the West Virginia CDC in person
      2. Contact the courthouse clerk where your divorce was filed
      3. Use 3rd party certified resources such as Vital Check

    1. In order to acquire a certified copy of your West Virginia divorce decree you will need to reach out to the West Virginia courthouse where your divorce decree was filed. You can request a copy of this online, over the phone, by mail or in person. The fastest way to obtain this is in person but if that’s not an option then you can receive a copy via mail but it may take a few weeks to receive it.

      How Do I Get a Copy of My West Virginia Divorce Decree?

      1. Contact the courthouse clerk where your divorce was filed
      2. Request a copy of your W.Virginia divorce decree
      3. Provide identification and the approximate divorce dates
      4. Pay the fee for a certified copy of your divorce decree
      5. Processing may take a few weeks by mail

  4. I was diorced in Charleston in or around 1974,I went thru legal aid and I am needing a copy of the divorce papers,how can I find this?

    1. To obtain an official copy of your W.Virginia Divorce Record you will want to reach out to the court where your W.Virginia divorce decree was filed and request a copy from the courthouse clerk. You will need the approximate dates of the divorce as well as proof of identification an there will be a small fee for each WV divorce record copy that you need.

Author: SQAdmin
Last Updated: December 16, 2017

Please be aware that the information obtained using SearchQuarry.com searches may not always be accurate and up to date as we do not create, verify, or guarantee the accuracy or the amount of information provided through our service. Data availability is largely dependent on various public sources from which the information is aggregated. SearchQuarry.com is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by Fair Credit Reporting Act and should not be used to determine an individual’s eligibility for personal credit or employment, or to assess risk associated with any business transactions such as tenant screening. By using the services offered through this website you agree to comply with all of the conditions set forth in our terms and privacy disclosure. The information obtained from our searches is not to be used for any unlawful purposes such as stalking or harassing others, or investigating public officials or celebrities. Violators may be subject to civil and criminal litigation and penalties. All searches are subject to our terms and applicable laws. SafeCart is the retailer of products on this site.

Share This