Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV
) is a dynamic agency of the state, which is dedicated to serving the people, protecting consumers, as well as ensuring the success of motor vehicle-related issues. It is one of the many departments that raise revenue for the state. The primary use of the funds to the Texas DMV are allocated is to maintain infrastructure such as roads, bridges and highways.
The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
is overseen by nine board members who are appointed by the governor. The team is also the policy-making arm and the executive director overseeing the daily operations of the department. Every year, the state of Texas registers millions of motor vehicles. It also regulates vehicle dealers and credentials buses and big trucks for interstate commerce, as well as issuing overweight and oversize permits. To protect vehicle owners, the department grants award to officers as a way of reducing vehicle theft in the state.
Applying for a Texas Driver’s License
The process of applying for a motor vehicle license in this state is simple, thanks to the Texas DMV. If you are new in the state and you want to legally drive through the streets, you need to apply for your Texas driver’s license. You have ninety days to drive with an out of state license before it becomes illegal. To apply for a new Texas driver’s license
, you will have to follow the steps outlined on the application form, but there is no need to take the knowledge of road tests. That is if your license is valid and unexpired from another U.S state or South Korea, Germany, Taiwan or France. If otherwise, you will have to take both driving and written tests.
For residents, the state of Texas does not require eighteen or older drivers to have a learner license before applying for the driver’s one. However, if it is the first time you are applying, you are required to have a learner’s license to practice driving before your test. You can visit the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
to learn more about.
Texas Driver’s License Requirements
• A complete application for the Texas Driver’s License or an identity card
• Appropriate proof of ID; the state’s DPS provides a full list of the appropriate documents for proof of identity
Acceptable Texas DMV Forms of ID
1. Primary documents such as military ID or a passport
2. 2 Secondary documents like birth certificate
3. 1 Secondary document plus two supporting files such as voter registration card and a social security card
Texas DMV SSN Requirements
• Evidence of social security number like a social security card 1099 or W2
• Proof of lawful presence in the U.S; for example, through a birth certificate
• Two documents as proof of your residency; for instance, a medical card or a mortgage statement
Texas DMV Requirements for New Residents
• Surrender a Texas vehicle registration as proof
• Present an affidavit showing that you do not have a vehicle, and if you do, present proof of auto insurance for all vehicles
• If possible, present your out-of-state or country license
• If you are between eighteen and twenty-four years old, you are required to present a completion certificate for a driver’s course before getting a Texas drivers license
• Pass the knowledge exam and driving test
• Pay the driver’s license fee
If you fulfill the above requirements, you will be given a receipt that will allow you to drive until your driver’s license is mailed to you. You should receive this within three weeks
Texas DMV Driving Records
A Texas driver’s record shows your driving history. It includes such basic information as your name, address and other deeper details like license suspicions and traffic tickets. A complete record includes serious violations and non-sensual that occurred. This kind of information can stay on your driving record for a very long time. A complete Texas driver abstract shows all your driving history but you can request information for a particular period. Texas driving records can be obtained online or through mail. The method to use will be dictated by what records you need to obtain, how urgent you need them or whether it is your own or someone else’s Texas Driver abstract. These are, however, not available in a Texas drivers license office.
After your vehicle is registered, you will be issued with a sticker that displays some of the Texas DMV Records, including license plate number, partial vehicle registration number, and county of registration. The primary goal of having your vehicle registered is to protect you against fraud and even theft. The registration period expires on the last day of the month indicated on your sticker. Motorcycle stickers are smaller and are usually displayed on the top right corner of the number plate.
The latest advancements in the industry have eased the auto registering process. If you are a new resident, you have thirty days to get your vehicle inspected and registered. Before visiting a County Tax Office in your area, make sure you have:
• Proof of auto insurance
• Proof of car insurance prior to arriving at the inspection area
After the safety inspection, you can head out to the County Tax Office with the following documents.
• Proof that your vehicle has passed the safety inspection
• Documents to show that you own the vehicle
• Application for Texas Certificate of Title (Completed form); use this application form even if you are not titling the vehicle.
• You should also have proof of payment of registration fee
TxDMV also offers free vehicle license plate transfer for free, where it issues an updated registration sticker for the new vehicle. Through the Texas DMV website, you can access a myriad of their services, which can save you valuable time. The TxDMV also offers extra driving education for the state residents.
Just like any other government agency in the USA, the TxDMV offers services to enhance people’s lives. Generally, the mission of this department is to protect the people and industries all over the state with high-quality services related to motor vehicles. You can also access your driving history from the Texas DMV Records database online.